Ask the Expert
Hair Loss Guides
How Exercise Can Influence Hair Loss
As an MD and creator of the hair loss solution Revivogen, people are always asking me to what extent if any, can exercise have on hair loss. My answer is that most anything that is good for your overall health can only be beneficial for your hair as well. Let's keep in mind however that 95% of the time DHT is related to hair loss. The other 5% of the time hair loss can possibly be affected by various other conditions such as thyroid, diabetes, medication and of course stress.
One of the many ways in which long term SEVERE body stress, not DAY TO DAY stress can cause hair loss is through increasing cortisol levels in the body. Cortisol is the hormone which is released from the body during severe stresses to the body. Cortisol will convert hairs into the resting phase of growth resulting in finner and thinners hairs. On the other hand, studies have shown that regular cardiovascular and aerobic exercise can reduce not only cortisol but also overall DHT levels in the body. Lower levels of DHT circulating throughout the body would obviously be beneficial to the hair and the hair follicle.
There's also the psychological aspect of exercise on hair loss. When you start to lose your hair, you may feel as if you are not in control of your body or your life. Exercise can give you a feeling of being in control of your life and circumstances because of the initiative taken to do the exercise. You have the chance to create for yourself a healthy mental feedback loop through exercising. This is because when you exercise your body, you're also exercising initiative. You start feeling less a like victim because of your hair loss, and more like someone who is being proactive in the way they take care of themselves. Hair loss perhaps starts to become a smaller piece of the overall picture. With your newfound initiative and confidence, you can now more easily approach finding a solution to your hair loss.
Exercise can also increase serotonin levels in the brain. Seratonin is the feel good chemical that helps us keep a balanced and happy perspective on life. It's important to maintain this healthy out look and perspective when going through something that could be stressful for you, like your hair loss. The serotonin gained through exercise, can provide for you better coping abilities and that helps you deal better with stress in general.
So yes, I understand the benefits of regular exercise in regard to hair loss. To answer further questions, I ask that you exercise a little more initiative and email them to me at revivogen.com in the Ask the Expert section of the website.
ABOUT DR KHADAVI
Dr. Alex Khadavi, creator of thining hair treatment Revivogen
Dr. Khadavi, MD
Board Certified Dermatologist
creator of Revivogen
"I became concerned about my own thinning hair when I began balding at the age of 20. At that point, the only product available for treating hair loss in men and women was Rogaine, and both the product itself and the results left a lot to be desired. I had my own moment of enlightenment upon learning that dihydrotestorsterone, or DHT, was the key hormone responsible for the chain of events that leads to hair loss in men and women. That's when I started experimenting with pharmaceutical and natural DHT blockers, which eventually led to the development of Revivogen."